The Cradle Mountain Run is a one day traverse of Tasmania’s famous Cradle Mt to Lake St Clair Overland track. The beauty of this run is that it traverses wild alpine areas of Tasmania’s Cradle Mt Lake St Clair National Park and World Heritage Area. The altitude of the track in several areas of the plateau is greater than 1000 metres, which by world standards is not high, but here is well above the tree line. This low tree line illustrates the exposure and harshness of conditions that can prevail even in summer.
This is an estimated, not-accurately measured 82km trail run limited to 60 runners. The event is a Run not a Race and mutual help is an important aspect. Hills are steep, the mud can suck your shoes off and roots and stones make the going slow for the less nimble footed. Some photos of the track surface can be found HERE
Because of its difficulties, runners must provide evidence of their suitability to tackle this run. The current entry criteria are as follows:-
1) Minimum age of 18 years on race day AND
2) You must have completed a previous Cradle Run within the last three years (2016 on) OR one of the following race types in the last two years at the time of entry:-
- Any trail based ultramarathon longer than 80 km finished within race cutoff time
- XPD or similar Adventure Race
- UTA 100 in under 20 hours
- The Tasmanian based Bruny Island Ultra Marathon (solo) AND the Triple Top Mountain Run (under 4 hours)
- Gone Nuts 101 in under 16 hours
Please Note:- all results must be easily verifiable by the Cradle Run organisers (eg results on web). If information cannot be provided to easily verify results the organisers will reject the application.
Entries are taken online and potential runners should note that entries fill extremely quickly. The 2019 run will be on Saturday 2nd February. Entries for 2019 will open at 8pm (Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time), 21st October 2018.
Payment must be made upon entry using Paypal or credit card.The entry fee will be $160 / runner which includes membership of the Cradle Mountain Run Inc Association and a $50 park usage fee payable to the National Parks and Wildlife Service.
1) There are only 60 entry spaces available. After this runners will be placed on a waitlist and will be contacted if a spot becomes available. If you do not qualify or are not VERY serious about completing this run please DO NOT enter. You will displace another runner.
4) Accepted runners will be notified by email as soon as possible. Please be patient as it does take a while to vet all entries.
5) If you withdraw prior to the run due to injury or illness you will not be penalised in future years. In fact we respect you for making that difficult decision. If you need to withdraw, please let the organisers know as soon as possible.
6) Full refunds will be given up to the end of December. No refunds will be issued if runners withdraw after December 31st.
Gear Requirements & Logistics
For anyone contemplating the run, further information as well as Rules, Compulsory Equipment, Transport and Accommodation information is available here – 2018 Cradle Run Information.
Please contact Christine Brown if you have any queries